Thursday, August 30, 2007

Contact and Contract woes

The whole 'getting there' deal has slowed to a crawl.

My recruiter (who in every other way has been totally awesome) keeps calling my cell instead of the land line when I'm at home, regardless of the fact that I told him specifically when and how it's best to get a hold of me. It's gotten to the point that I've call forwarded my cell phone to the land line. I waited at home all freaking day in the hopes that he would call, only briefly leaving in the morning for a dental appointment.


Unless the call forwarding screws with his international calling, he didn't try to call today at all, as he said he would in the last message he left (on my cell phone). It's so freaking aggravating, because I'm thisclose to being on my way. Plus, I have a question for him:

In the ad for the teaching job, it said I'd get 2.2 mil won a month (about $2,390) for teaching 2:30-9:30, mon-fri. Now, I had a hard time understanding the school owner when he called, but I could swear he said if I took on morning classes (AKA split shift) I'd get another 200,000 won (about $210) per month. In the contract it says I'll just be getting 2 mil won a month, with 200,000 more if I take the morning classes. This might just be a misunderstanding (these "misunderstandings" are common for hogwan owners to have, or so I hear ¬.¬) but regardless of that, the ad for the job is grossly inaccurate, with absolutely no mention of split shifts whatsoever. My recruiter also caught that the overtime rate, which is supposed to be 22,000 won per teaching hour (50 min) is down on the contract as 20,000 won per hour.
The more I deal with the school owner the less I want to deal with him, despite the fact that the job itself looks like it could be pretty fun, working with adults as well as kids. The only thing keeping me from pulling the plug and getting a mind-numbing, not-as-well paying-but-with-possibly-more-time-off public school job or another hogwan is how much effort Duff Recruiting has put into this as well as the fact that most people don't like public school much better (there are pros - you can be super lazy and cons - you have to deal with a co-teacher, which can make fore some interesting politics) and most hogwan owners are the same - the ones that are nice tend to have low turn over (obviously), which means few chances to snag one.

Maybe I should go for a public school job... but that'd ad another 2-4 weeks before my departure date, which would kill the whole be-back-in-time-for-Shelby's-wedding thing unless I leave the school early, which forfeits the extra month of pay AND the airfare home...
But with the pace things are moving now with these contact and contract woes, it might well be the same difference. I'll continue to put out feelers.
_______________________

[edit 12:06am]
Got the call from the Recruiter, and he says he doesn't want to place me with the school. He said that both he and his wife (who is Korean) started getting bad vibes off of the school owner after several meetings with him. He was wanting to change things in the contract, the hours, etc.
He's checking with some other schools that he's worked with before to see what they have available ASAP. I should have more info tomorrow.

2 comments:

Diana said...

It sounds like you have a good recruiter. Good luck!

Diana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.